Ambassadors for Peace work to:
- Support the renewal and strengthening of the family as the most fundamental unit of society,
- Encourage reconciliation and cooperation beyond traditional boundaries of religion, race and ethnicity, and
- Promote the ethic of “living for the sake of others” as the essential ingredient for building a world community.
Ambassadors for Peace are a global network of leaders representing the religious, racial and ethnic diversity of the human family, as well as all disciplines of human endeavor. They stand on the common ground of shared principles, committed to the path of promoting reconciliation, overcoming barriers, and building peace.
One receives the Ambassador for Peace certificate, not fundamentally as an award, but rather as an appointment or a commission. The certificate does not so much honor an individual for past achievements, but rather installs or appoints a person to a position that carries new and on-going responsibilities aimed at ultimately creating a world of peace.
Ambassadors for Peace are committed to working beyond race, religion and nationality while accepting a global mission, the scope of which extends beyond the interest of any particular nation.
Ambassadors for Peace, regardless of their level of ambassador appointment, represent a global consciousness and their activities reflect a global assignment serving the common good. Ambassadors for Peace dedicate themselves, affirm and put into practice the following principles:
- There is one God who is the Creator of all and the parent of all humankind.
- Human beings are essentially spiritual in their nature.
- The family is the central institution of all societies, and is the “school of love” for the growth and development of all people. The foundation of stable families is faithful and committed marriage.
- The highest standard in human relationships is to “live for the sake of others.”
- Interreligious and international cooperation are essential to building genuine and lasting peace.
Ambassadors for Peace seek not only to affirm these principles but to put them into practice beginning within their own families and expanding into their communities, nations and ultimately the world.
What do Ambassadors for Peace Do?
The activities of the Ambassadors for Peace are carried on all levels of society – from family level to the international level. All activities are imbued with the ethic of service, thus exemplifying “living for the sake of others.” Many Ambassadors for Peace concentrate their efforts within their particular areas of specialization, while also working with UPF initiatives and chapters worldwide.
Through all of their activities, Ambassadors for Peace work to overcome barriers that for too long divided people – barriers of race, religion, ethnicity, and/or nationality. Ambassadors for Peace organize, support or participate in a wide variety of service and relief projects such as building schools, digging wells or renovating communities in conflict torn areas. They participate in and provide leadership in interreligious dialogue, and they foster practices which contribute to conflict prevention on all levels.