Top 12 National Parents’ Day Finalists Announced
New York, NY – The top twelve National Parents’ Day finalists has been announced. An online special report was published on July 21st by The Washington Times Advocacy Department and the National Parents Day Coalition.
The finalists (in alphabetical order) are the following:
- Pastor Mark and First Lady Edna Abernathy of Snelville, Georgia
- Mr Lowell and Mrs America Callahan of Wheatland, California
- Apostle Ralph Edwards and Prophetess Irene Edwards of Harlem, New York
- Mr Kenneth and Mrs Kim Fox-Muhammad of East Spencer, North Carolina
- Senator Mike and Mrs Carol Gabbard of Kapolei, Hawaii
- Mr Daniel and Mrs Lakeisha Meadows Ivey of Durham, North Carolina
- Pastor Billy and Mrs Faye McDonnell of North Las Vegas, Nevada
- Bishop Alfred Owens and Dr. Susie Owens of Washington D.C.
- Mr Andrew and Mrs Rebecca Powell of Charleston, West Virginia
- Mr Andrew and Mrs Judith Ross of Downers Grove, Illinois
- Dr John and Leah Schaut of Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Mr Phengchanh and Mrs Wilaiwan Soundara of Vienna, Virginia
The awarding and the announcement of the National Parents’ Day Awardee 2016 will be on August 5th at the Arbor Ballroom of The Washington Times, Washington D.C. with around 200 people invited to join the banquet and celebration.
The twelve (12) exemplary families were selected from forty-one (41) nominations coming from twenty-three (23) states across the United States. They have been nominated based on the following criteria:
- Couple exemplifies qualities of sacrificial love.
- Parents have overcome major obstacles (emotional, physical, financial, etc.) to provide for children’s personal development and happiness.
- Couple exhibits qualities of personal moral virtue and/or religious commitment.
- Parents have a noteworthy record of contributions to their family and community
For more information about the National Parents’ Day including its work and for future nominations of exemplary families in your communities, please visit the website at www.parentsday.com
Reported by: Emiljun Rapada, UPF USA